Deputy Sheriff Careers
STARTING SALARY - $47,611
Deputy Sheriff Sign-on Bonus: $1,500
(Three installments - $500 when hired, $500 upon academy completion, and $500 upon completion of yearly probation)
Deputy Sheriff Lateral Bonus: $7,500
(Three installments - $2,500 when hired, $2,500 upon release from probation, and $2,500 upon completion of two years employment)
Employee Referral Deputy Sheriff Bonus: $500
(Two installments - $250 when hired and $250 after 180 days of employment)
Formal Education Compensation (Annually)
Foreign or Sign Language Translation Stipend (Annually): $125
• Must be at least 20 years 3 months of age at time of application.
• United States citizenship
• possess High School Diploma or acceptable equivalent
• valid Driver's License
• pass physical agility test and written examination
Physical Agility Test Videos:
• pass polygraph examination and drug screening
• pass psychological and physical examinations
• pass visual acuity standard
• pass extensive background investigation
• capable of completing mandated police training academy
• complete probationary period of one year
A Deputy Sheriff is responsible to enforce laws, protect life and property, and to provide a safe and secure community to live, work and visit. A Deputy Sheriff is expected to exercise good judgment, common sense and apply appropriate discretion in the performance of their duties while guided by their training, sense of fairness and knowledge of the law.• Patrol assigned area and take appropriate action to preserve the peace;
• Respond to emergency calls;
• Enforce traffic regulations;
• Investigate suspicious conditions and complaints;
• Conduct interviews to obtain information from complainants and suspects;
• Investigate crime scenes to include securing the scene, interviewing witnesses and collection of evidence;
• Arrest persons suspected of crimes according to prescribed procedures;
• Complete written factual reports;
• Testify in court proceedings as necessary;
• Execute search and arrest warrants;
• Maintain assigned equipment;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Ability to gain thorough knowledge of St. Mary’s County Government policies and procedures;
> • Ability to gain thorough knowledge of the Office of the Sheriff policies and procedures;
• Ability to gain thorough knowledge of modern approved principles and practices of sworn law enforcement;
• Ability to use and maintain firearms and related police issued equipment;
• Ability to operate a motor vehicle under normal or emergency situations;
• Ability to effectively communicate with other staff and especially members of the public;
• Ability to make decisions in accordance with established federal, state and local laws;
• Ability to apply departmental policies to daily work problems;
• Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions;
• Ability to work independently on tasks and maintain records;
• Ability to plan, organize, and execute complicated and continuing assignments accurately, with minimum instruction or review;
• Effective business English, grammar, legal terminology, and math skills.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
• High School Diploma or GED.
ADDITIONAL ACADEMY REQUIREMENTS
• Weight must be in proportion to height, body frame and age;
• Vision must be correctable to 20/20;
• Must complete a 26-week Maryland Police Training Commission approved academy; or be eligible for recertification and/or eligible for comparative compliance training as a certified Police Officer by the Maryland Police Training Commission;
• Must be able to work shift work including weekends and holidays;
• This position is designated essential personnel during inclement weather;
• Must maintain current certification of CPR/AED/FA.
PHYSICAL TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Training academy recruits will be subject to being taken down to the ground aggressively in the prone position and participate in playing the role of an officer and aggressor. Recruits will be exposed in the face with Oleoresin Capsicum/OC Spray as well as exposed to conducted electrical weapons (TASER).
RECRUITS MUST ALSO DEMONSTRATE THE FOLLOWING
Execute a jump and climb from a height of at least four (4) feet, must have the ability to run 1.5 miles with a distance of at least 300 yards at full speed, and have the ability to run up and down two flights of stairs as well as have the ability to demonstrate other various fitness requirements such as; push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups (males) and flex arm hang (females).
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Work demands occasional strenuous effort. For example, handling of moderate to heavy boxes, tools, equipment, or materials of 30 to 150 pounds and have the ability to evacuate people from dangerous conditions.
This position requires the ability to run, climb, jump, lift, drag, crawl, push and pull of objects and have the ability to use bodily force as well as respond to calls, both on foot and by motor vehicle, wearing of Personnel Protective Equipment/PPE, including but limited to; Kevlar vest, gun belt and Gas/Protective mask.
The work environment involves high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress and physical threat which require a range of safety and other precautions, e.g., aggressive human behavior, extreme outdoor weather conditions, or similar situations where conditions cannot be controlled.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
301-475-4200 Ext. *1936
301-475-4200 Ext. *1909
301-475-4200 Ext. *1927
301-475-4200 Ext. *1919
301-475-4200 Ext. *1925
Human Resources Manager
301-475-4200 Ext. *1926