It is the mission of the St. Mary’s County Sheriff's Office to safeguard the lives and property of the people we serve, to reduce the incidence and fear of crime, and to enhance public safety while working with the diverse communities to improve their quality of life. Our mandate is to do so with honor and integrity, while at all times conducting ourselves with the highest ethical standards to maintain public confidence.
The core values of the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office are intended to guide and inspire us in all we say and do. Ensuring that our values become part of our day-to-day work life is our mandate, and they help to ensure that our personal and professional behavior can be a model for all to follow:
- Service to our Communities – We are dedicated to enhancing public safety and reducing the fear and the incidence of crime. We will work in partnership with our communities and do our best, within the law, to solve community problems that effect public safety. We value the great diversity of people in both our residential and business communities and serve all with equal dedication.
- Reverence for the Law – We have been given the honor and privilege of enforcing the law. We must always exercise integrity in the use of the power and authority that have been given to us by the people. Our personal and professional behavior should be a model for all to follow. We are committed to conducting ourselves in a manner that brings honor to ourselves, the Sheriff’s Office and our profession.
- Commitment to Leadership – We believe that every member of the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office is a leader. It is essential that our values become part of our day-to-day work life.
- Integrity in All We Say and Do – We are committed to nurturing the public trust by holding ourselves accountable to the highest standards of professional conduct and ethics.
- Respect for People – We are committed to respecting individual rights, human dignity, and the value of all members of the community and the agency. We show concern and empathy for the victims of crime and treat violators of the law with fairness and dignity. By demonstrating respect for others, we will earn respect for the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office and our profession.
- Quality through Continuous Improvement – We are committed to achieving a level of performance that exceeds all expectations. We value innovation, support creativity, and dedicate ourselves to proactively seek new and better ways to combat crime.