Detention Center Expansion Project
Since 2006, St. Mary’s County has evaluated several options to address the needs and deficiencies of the St. Mary’s County Detention and Rehabilitation Center. In March of 2016, Sheriff Timothy K. Cameron after consultation with Corrections Division Staff, the Department of Public Works and Transportation officials and careful review of the Capital Improvement Budget and Program for Fiscal Year 2017, requested consideration for an alternative plan to the renovation project slated by the Commissioners of St. Mary’s County (CSMC).
The newest option approved by the CSMC is to add a housing unit to "support the female inmate populations through the year 2030, a new medical clinic and infirmary, an expanded laundry area, a new Pre-Trial Services Office Suite, new fire alarm system throughout, upgraded HVAC systems, and new central control room with an upgraded, fully integrated security system. In the interim, the new female housing unit serves as swing space to temporarily house inmates displaced from their housing unit while infrastructure upgrades are installed."
Scope of Work:
Female Housing Unit
- Swing Space to house inmates during the renovation of the existing housing units, and
- Once complete, dedicated housing for the female population.
- 64 Beds
- 48 General Housing. (6 8-bed cells).
- 8 Special Housing. (4 double-bunk cells).
- 8 Housing/Observation. (4 double-bunk cells).
- 64 Beds
- 2 Exam Rooms, Medical Treatment Room, X-Ray Room, pharmacy, and an inmate waiting area.
- Offices: 3 Offices – Medical and Mental Health.
- 2 3-Bed Wards – Male and Female.
- 2 Single Cells.
- 2 Safety Cells.
- 1 Negative Pressure Cell.
- Central Control.
- Staff Toilet.
- Existing Medical to Pre-Trial Services.
- Laundry/Medical Holding Cells to Expanded Laundry.
- Security Control Room Upgrades.
- Kitchen Floor.
|Design Award:||December, 2018 (FY19)|
|Break Ground:||August, 2019 (FY20)|
|Completion of New Housing Area & Main Control:||August, 2020 (FY21)|
|Begin Upgrades to Existing Facility:||September, 2020 (FY21)|
|Complete Medical Unit in New Housing Area:||December, 2020 (FY21)|
|Completion Date:||June, 2021 (FY22)|
Procurement Bid Documents:
All St. Mary’s County Government solicitations are posted on eMaryland Marketplace . Notices are also posted on the County’s website with directions to the solicitation on eMaryland Marketplace.
Images from Ricci Greene Associates
Source: Facility Program Part I – Project Justification, August 8, 2016.