Obtain a Sheriff's Office Document

Who can get a copy of a police report?

When the Sheriff’s Office conducts a criminal investigation or investigates a motor vehicle accident, they usually complete a report. Victims of a criminal investigation or drivers involved in a motor vehicle accident may obtain a copy of the report.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

To obtain a police report you will be required to complete a request form (an offense report for a criminal investigation or an accident report for a motor vehicle collision). You will need the date/time of the incident and a case number. There is no charge to the victim of a criminal investigation. There is a $5.00 charge for individuals involved in a motor vehicle accident. Cash or money orders, no checks.

The report will be mailed to you as soon as it is available, usually within ten (10) working days.

  • Offense Reports (theft, vandalism, assault, burglary etc): 301-475-4200, ext. 1994 or 1991
  • Accident Reports: 301-475-4200, ext. 1993
  • Civil Process: 301-475-4200, ext. 1992
  • Warrants: 301-475-4200, ext. 1995
  • Child Support: 301-475-4200, ext. 1932
  • Records Supervisor: 301-475-4200, ext. 1990

How do I get a copy of an in-car video or radio transmission?

Please complete the request form below and follow the instructions on where to send it.

Public Information Request Form

A deputy responded to an accident in which I was involved. Is he or she required to complete an accident report?

No. Under Maryland Law, if you are involved in an accident where there are no injuries, no damage to a third party and none of the vehicles are disabled, the only requirement is that the vehicle operators exchange all pertinent information, such as name, address, driver's license number and insurance information.

How do I get a copy of a fatal accident report?

The Sheriff's Office conducts accident reconstructions on all fatal motor vehicle accidents. This is a very time-consuming, lengthy process. Once the report is completed, it is available to be released. Costs for accident reconstruction reports are 50 cents per page.

You will be required to follow the procedures outlined in "How do I get a copy of a police report?" above to obtain the report.

How do I get copies of photographs taken by the Sheriff's Office at a fatal accident scene?

Copies of photographs are available at $1.50 each.

How do I get a copy of a video recording taken by the Sheriff's Office at a fatal accident scene?

Video recordings can be obtained by subpoena only.