Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below you will find a few Frequently Asked Questions about the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office.

If you have a question that is not listed here, click here to Contact Us.

How can I get a deputy to speak to my group, class, or organization?

You can contact the Community Policing, Crime Prevention and Traffic Safety Units at 301-475-8008 to schedule a deputy to speak to your group, class, or organization. Please give us as much advance notice as possible, as requests are frequent and taken on a first come, first served basis. The Sheriff's Office presents a wide variety of topics to address almost any safety concern you may have.

Does the Sheriff's Office offer any other services that would be useful to me?

In addition to speaking with your group, class or organization, the Sheriff's Office provides other useful services, such as business or residential security surveys and child safety seat inspections.

With a security survey, a deputy will come to your business or residence and provide you with useful information to make your home more safe and secure. To schedule your free appointment, call 301-475-8008.

With child safety seat inspections, a deputy will show you the proper way to install and use a child safety seat. To schedule your free appointment, email and include your name, address, telephone number, email address, and type and number of car seats.

How do I report suspected drug activity in my community?

You can call the St. Mary's County Crime Solvers at 301-475-3333, or you can call the Sheriff's Office at 301-475-8008.

How do I learn if you are accepting applications for employment as a deputy sheriff or correctional officer?

Such information is routinely advertised in local media, as well as on the St. Mary's County Government Job Openings Website,

I have many questions regarding the deputy sheriff and correctional officer positions. How do I learn more?

You can find out more about qualifications, starting salaries, benefits and more by visiting the pages in the employment section of this website.

My vehicle has been impounded by the Sheriff's Office. How do I get it back?

Depending on the reason your vehicle was impounded, it may or may not be released. To find out, you will need to contact the Duty Officer at 301-475-8008.

If your vehicle can be released, you will be required to bring the title or registration of the vehicle, and a photo ID of yourself to show the Duty Officer. Once you are verified as the owner of the vehicle, the Duty Officer will supply you with a Vehicle Release to give to the tow service when you pick your vehicle up.

Why does it take so long for a deputy to respond to my call?

Calls for service are NOT dispatched on a "first come, first served" basis. They are dispatched according to priority. The most serious calls are always answered first. Due to call volume and manpower allocations, there are also times when deputies are busy answering other calls.

Where are the Sheriff's Office district stations located?

The Sheriff's Office presently has three district stations. District 1 Station is at 37575 Charlotte Hall School Road in Charlotte Hall, District 3 Station is at 23125 Camden Way in California, and District 4 Station is at 21633 Great Mills Road in Lexington Park.

Although you can stop by a district station to speak to a deputy, you need to know that these outposts are not manned 24 hours a day. They are utilized by the deputies as a place to conduct investigations, interview individuals, complete paperwork and make telephone calls.

How do I obtain a copy of a Sheriff's Office document?

You can learn how to obtain a copy of a Sheriff's Office Document by visiting the page Obtain a Sheriff's Office Document.